Optimal business rules with the SAP BRF+
We have been advising on the SAP Business Rule Framework plus (BRF+) for over 10 years. With the introduction of SAP S/4HANA, SAP’s Business Rules Management System (BRMS) is becoming increasingly important. In particular, S/4 HANA Output Management (OPD) is set to use BRF+ to replace the tried-and-true ECC message determination. With each release, SAP also rolls out additional standard processes from which companies can benefit. We would be happy to advise you on this proven and very practical tool from SAP.
Perhaps you have already heard of SAP BRF+? After all, this tool from SAP has been on the market for over 10 years. Especially for companies that are about to switch to S/4HANA, the topic of BRF+ is gaining presence.
BFR+ required for S/4HANA Cloud
If your company opts for S/4HANA as a cloud variant, they are even bound to BRF+ as a message control framework, as older formats are not supported. The situation is different when using S/4HANA on-premise. Here, the switch does not necessarily have to be made, although it certainly brings many advantages:
What is BRF+?
Business Rule Framework Plus is a tool that allows individual business rules to be transparently modeled and maintained for standard processes within SAP.
Once the business rules have been modeled, thanks to the intuitive, graphical user interface BRF+ (HTML), the business rules can be defined as master data without any programming knowledge.
What tools/possibilities does the BFR+ offer?
The availability of the tools depends on the selected UI mode.
- You can provide input to the context data objects of a function and simulate its execution for testing and debugging purposes. Simulation is similar to testing function blocks.
Other tool components are only available in expert mode.
- You can delete unused objects using the Application Management tool. You can also discard old versions of objects that are no longer needed, delete objects marked for deletion, and reorganize objects.
- You can use the Application Usage tool to query all applications used by the selected application or query other applications that use the selected application.
- This tool allows you to check and analyze the runtime behavior of a BRFplus function in general. The name “Lean Trace” indicates that this tool works on a relaxed granularity level, so that certain execution steps are aggregated or completely hidden.
- This tool allows you to create a selection of BRFplus objects based on various criteria and then apply a specific change to all selected objects simultaneously.
- In a transport request, you can check and analyze the consistency of all BRFplus objects.
Web service generation and RFC generation
- External users can apply the rules defined in BRFplus using the Web Service Generation tool Similarly, if an SAP system landscape is installed and you want to access a BRFplus application from one system, but the application is located in another system, you can do this. To set up the required environment, you can use the RFC Generation tool.
XML export and XML import
We will be happy to advise you in detail about BRF+